Walt Disney Imagineering has teamed up with the NBA to bring a brand new experience to Disney Springs. Taking over the location where the old DisneyQuest building once stood, the NBA Experience is a brand new building that will give guests an opportunity to live out their basketball dreams beginning in Summer 2019.
As seen over on the Disney Parks Blog, there will be a variety of hands-on activities offered.
- Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo moment that re-creates the atmosphere of the draft stage.
- Track and improve their jump shots and passing skills in a replicated NBA Combine challenge, complete with a scouting report that highlights their stats at the end of the session.
- Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd as they maneuver through a series of timed shots to aim for a high score.
- Execute the perfect slam dunk just like NBA superstars, captured by cameras surrounding adjustable baskets.
- Test their ball-handling skills with an interactive trainer who will challenge them with a variety of dribbling routines.
- Use an oversized slingshot to launch basketballs at hoops of varying heights, making as many shots as possible before the clock runs out in this thrilling timed challenge.
- Immerse themselves in the rich legacy and history of NBA and WNBA championship-winning teams.
- Access a team locker room that showcases up-to-date statistics and visuals of top NBA and WNBA players.
- Test their knowledge of the NBA and WNBA – past and present – during a trivia game with up to 25 participants competing against one another to be champion.
- Enjoy two 180-degree cinematic presentations that showcase the in-arena experience moments before the start of the game, as well as special stories from the players’ perspectives.
- Take a seat at an interactive multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games, using the tools at their stations to make the right calls.
- Play interactive basketball games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to modern video games
There will also be an adjacent restaurant and a retail location with NBA-themed merchandise created by Disney.
The photos below show how the brand new NBA Experience building looked in early December.
What do you think of this new offering that’s coming to Disney Springs? Some have questioned whether or not Disney guests will have enough of an interest in basketball to sustain a project of this size, but the list of activities appears to be broad enough to appeal to those who may only have a casual interest in the sport.